The Bay Friendly Schools Program works with schools to ensure that all decision-making considers environmental, social and economic consequences. Schools are assisted to implement a collaboratively developed vision and its associated values across the whole school community. The schools benefit from locally relevant and practical learning which focuses on Geographe Bay and its environment.
The Bay Friendly Schools Program also supports the delivery of the Wastewise Schools Program and the Busselton Water Waterwise Schools Program in the Geographe Catchment.
- 2012 Sustainable Schools Pilot Program (2011) extended into more schools
- Bay Friendly Schools launch – Dunsborough Primary School ( 650+ students) for a day of environmental beach activities
- Dunsborough PS won Tidy Towns Regional Award for the ‘Young Legends’ category
- Established sustainability committees in schools.
- Provided professional development opportunities for teachers.
- Applied for funding for sustainability activities.
- Developed sustainability resources for schools.
- Provided advice and technical support for monitoring and environmental education programs.
- Provided in class and field support to schools with a commitment to long term environmental education & on-ground action.
- Supported local on ground rehabilitation partnership projects.
Funding and Partnerships
This project is funded by GeoCatch, and Partnerships with the Department of Environment Regulation and Busselton Water.
In 2013 the project will aim to:
- Consolidate support to all schools included in the 2011/12 Sustainable Schools Program
- Roll out the Bay Friendly Schools Program to additional schools in the catchment
- Continue to provide environmental education support to schools