Community catchment values have been defined by GeoCatch through consultation processes. Within the Geographe catchment there is a strong desire to retain the natural qualities of the area and the semi-rural lifestyle people enjoy. There is also a need for continued economic growth in terms of employment opportunities.
The values people hold for Geographe Bay and its catchment are summarised below:
- Conservation and protection of agricultural land and its productivity.
- Development and implementation of sustainable management practices.
- Preservation, rehabilitation and public access.
- No restrictive private ownership.
Diversity and Development
- Maintenance of socio-economic and environmental diversity.
- Acceptance of and support for a range of industries for sustainable and diverse economic development.
- No major industrial development along coastal strip.
- Creation of diverse employment opportunities.
- Conservation, protection of, and controlled access to the natural environment as the setting for all activities, lifestyles and economic development. Includes ocean, bay, waterways, land, remnant vegetation, wildlife, geographic features, atmosphere.
- Need for public education on landcare and environmental issues.
- Sustaining fish numbers and diversity.
- Existence and maintenance of fish stocks for all fishing purposes.
- Management of forests and industry to preserve natural habitats, and recreational, tourist and heritage sites.